Monday, November 27, 2006

Day 6 - Nov 25

We have another employee over here. I've never met him. His name is Greg. He's out of our Canadian office and been over here a little over a year, I think. He called me and told me he was taking me out and about today and then his wife was cooking me dinner and I could use my laptop to get on their Internet.

He came and got me around 10 am. We took a bus downtown. Basically 1 mile from my house, by bus. If I had wandered farther, I would have found it on my own. Looks a lot like NY City. Shops on every corner. Even passed a McDonalds and Blockbuster. I got to see the port, which is magnificent. Some structure that I couldn't even describe. I saw what they call "old Europe" - buildings 5-600 years old. I got to see Casa di Cristoper Columbus - house of Christopher Columbus. They have some big square dedicated to him with his ships depicted in flowers. They told me it's awesome when the flowers are in bloom. Went in some Catholic church. WOW! It was beautiful. Was told it was ok to take pictures, but I didn't have camera with me. Saw some guy confessing to a priest, or whatever they're called.

We walked around a while. Greg found me a place to get bath towels. Fifty Euro - about $65. Not my money, so I bought them. Then we found a place where I could get my own cell phone. Not my money, so I got a decent one and loaded it with a little time. They didn't have unlimited plans. It's based on how much money you put on. I haven't figured out how much I got, but I payed about $30 US for the card. I should be OK till I figure out how much I use. They also sold fast Internet at the store, so I ordered that and it will be installed within 20 days. Hopefully much faster.

Dropped my new stuff off at the apartment and went to a small pizzeria about 2 blocks away. I learned that pepperoni in italian is not the same as English. I had a pepperoni and italian ham pizza. All the pizzas are the same size. They overlap a dinner plate. They are thin crust. There is another word for thick crust, but I don't know it. The pizzas are not cut. You eat them with a fork. This was the best food I had since I got here. I ate about half and saved the rest for later.

Took 2 buses to get to Greg's flat. Took a while, but I got on the Internet. Finally! Connected to the world again. Had a few dozen emails to respond to. Got to see facebook for the first time in a week. Downloaded a bunch of shows to watch later - Friday Night Lights, Heroes and Studio 60. Greg also had a bunch of Christmas music and some movies on his hard drive.

His wife cooked some pasta dish for dinner. Was light. Very good. I didn't eat much. I've been dropping lots of weight and didn't want to ruin it by 2 big meals in a day.

Left his house around 8. Took 2 buses to get home. Did it right the first time. Missed almost every other time by myself.

Called my family. Told them I was finally OK. Mostly meant it.

No comments: