Monday, November 27, 2006

Day 2 - Nov 21

Landed in Rome around 8:30 or so, local time. Had to wait several hours for my connecting flight to Genova. Had to pass thru customs. Wasn't clearly marked, luckily there was a policeman there to show me where. In Canada, I basically had to provide blood samples of my firstborn. In Rome, they asked me my final destination and that was it. Stamped my passport and sent me thru.

I got to Genova about 3:30. Got my stuff and got a taxi. Driver didn't speak English, so I showed him the Siemens address. While he drove me there, I used my dictionary to write a message telling him to wait 5 minutes while I got my apartment key. He understood. When we got to the apartment, he basically dropped all my stuff on the steps and said 60 Euro. Thanks for the help up 2 flights of stairs.

The apartment is what is considered a luxury apartment by Italian standards. It is fairly large, but fairly old by American standards. The power outlets, when you try and unplug something, the outlet comes out of the wall. It is cold. The heat is controlled by the building. I have a large living room, a large dining room. Two smaller bedrooms. A master bedroom. A master bath about the size of my closet at home. A 1/2 bath, the size of a coat closet at home and a kitchen about 6 feet by 10 feet. In that kitchen is the washer - no dryers - gas oven, refrigerator (a little larger than a college dorm fridge), a large sink and a small table and chairs. Off the living room is a decent sized balcony. I have a corner apartment, so I have two different views. To the south, I can see the Mediterranean Sea. To the East, I can see whatever the mountains are called. The view is breathtaking. There's a bunch of small shops below me.

Bare place. No phone. And most importantly - no Internet. I can tell this will be a challenge.

Got my stuff settled in and went out looking for food and a bus pass. Bus pass was simple. Guy didn't speak English, but I told him the word for Bus Pass and he showed me the price on receipt. Didn't find any real food, but I found Coke, Water and Bananas. I was going to make a salad, so I got lettuce and tomatoes. I was looking for Ranch dressing, but didn't see it. I looked up the word for "suggest" asking the shopkeeper to suggest something and he suggested something in a can. I didn't want to be rude, so I bought it. But I didn't eat it. I'm not sure what it was, but I'm sure it's something I don't eat. Played with the TV for a while - nothing in English, go figure - and took Tylenol PM and went to bed around 7.

No comments: