Sunday, December 3, 2006

Day 13 - Laundry Day - Dec. 2

This is the day I've been dreading most. I haven't really washed clothes since college. My mom or wife have always done them for me.

It was as bad as I thought it would be. There is no dryer and the washer is real, real small and it's Italian. It has a hose that you hook into the faucet and another one for draining. All the writing is in Italian. I was lucky that I was able to buy detergent on Friday. That was hard. Deterivo is that word, in case if you're wondering.

Have the instruction, but obviously it's in Italian. That was a huge challenge. Took 5 loads. Whites, 2 for blue jeans/slacks, and 2 for shirts. The clothes must not spin much. Cause they are soaking. I have to wring out every item or it drips all over the floor. Tried hanging the jeans outside, but it was so cold and looked like it might rain, so gave up on that idea. There are a couple racks here so I moved the stuff out of the dining room. Turned it into a drying room. Hung all the shirts on hangars and hung them on one of the racks, put the jeans over chairs and the whites on another rack. Turned on a fan and hooked up a space heater. Clothes were moderately dry. Maybe tomorrow.

Was gonna go sightseeing, but took about 6 hours to do clothes. Just went downtown for dinner. Spent some time in a shop like Best Buy. Wanted to spend some money, but it's all so expensive. DVDs are in another region, so I wouldn't be able to use them at home. And they're bascially $30 US. Games that I would pay $50 for at home are about $80 US here, so just a lot of browsing. Still some real neat stores.

I needed an iron and finally found a small electronics shop that sold them. No English spoken. That was a real challenge.

They're getting to know me at the McDonalds. Cinque (pronounce Chinco) meal e bebita "coke light" e vaniglia frappe. That's my bacon cheeseburger meal.

Also, leg is about healed. Looks nothing like it did before I left. It will probably be almost normal by the time I come home. It's weak, but getting much better.

No comments: